It’s a fashion now to check competitors’ work.. what they are doing, what they are promoting, what they are offering and how they are earning etc.. I mean as human , sometimes you check/spy your neighbors. but how do you spy ethically? you may go for tea or for some other work and have a look of inside 😉
During Cricket tournament, Every team watch opponent team’s action via Video. They catch opponent’s players mistakes,-ve points,weaknesses etc.. these all are Ethical way.
In this blog, I’ll show you some tools/techniques which are free and available on online and that will spy your competitors in Ethical way.
1. Just open competitors website: In chrome, just press Ctrl+U . It will show you complete source code of the website. now press Ctrl+F and search “Keywords” , “Meta” , “Title” one by one. Now you can check their keywords and Meta descriptions. But don’t copy , Just learn.
You should learn from your competitor but never copy. Copy,and you die. – Jack Ma
2. Now check their Alexa Rank , just enter the competitors website URL in search box and click on Find button. It gives rank based on the amount of traffic recorded from users .
3. Mobile View : Open your mobile and check their’s website look and feel , do check yours too. compare, analyse and review. This Mobile-Friendly Test will analyze a URL and report if the page has a mobile-friendly design.
4. Check website page load speed in desktop and mobile : Use Google PageSpeed Insights
5. Check their number of indexed pages on SERPs: Use this style of search on Google: site:[competitor URL]
6.Check the accuracy of Codes: You should use the W3C validation tool .
This validator checks the markup validity of Web documents in HTML, XHTML, SMIL, MathML, etc. If you wish to validate specific content such as RSS/Atom feeds or CSS stylesheets, MobileOK content, or to find broken links, there are other validators and tools available. As an alternative you can also try non-DTD-based validator.
7. Check their Twitter, Facebook, Google+ , LinkedIn Page closely. Give attention what they are doing over those pages.. also check their presence on other Social Platform like Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube etc .
Set Up Facebook Pages to Watch: Read this blog for detailed: http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/research-competition-on-facebook/
8. Check their advertisements method: Try once http://www.moat.com/
Ads can be anything in any form, you just have to closely watch.. on their social platforms or on Google search via PPC Adwords . Some Competitive Research Tools for spying PPC : Details you can see here:
============================================== Some months back you might have seen Banners of Indian E-commerce portals on Roadside , social media. You can see those in below image and see how competition are BIG.. watch out offline, roadside too 😉
“To beat the competition, spy on their every marketing move. but Ethical way”
Now a days, success also comes from Analysis of competitors. The more research , the more better results.
What are the ways you spy on your competitors? will love to see them in comment 🙂